Introduction 2-character domain names
From the 1st of October 2022, it is be possible to register 2-character domain names under .frl. This can be any combination of two letters, two digits or a letter and a digit, e.g. aa.frl, 12.frl or go.frl.
This page contains everything you need to know about this release.
Change to Acceptable Use Policy
Effective immediately, the text of §i of the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) changes from
“The confusing use of a 2 character domain name that corresponds to a country code as described in the ISO 3166 alpha 2 standard with the corresponding country code”
“The confusing use of a 2 character domain name that corresponds to a country code as described in the ISO 3166 alpha 2 standard by misrepresenting or falsely implying that the registrant or its business is affiliated with a government or country-code manager if such affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement does not exist”
All 2-character ASCII domain names* registered on or after the 14th of November 2022 will be charged at a premium price for registration and renewal. For the exact price, registrars refer to the price list in the e-mail sent on the 13th of September 2022, while resellers and registrants should contact their registrar.
* ASCII domain names are domain names containing only letters (a-z) and digits (0-9). Domain names containing other characters, e.g. ô or ú, are not affected by this price change.
Timeline at a glance
[CLOSED] Limited Registration Period (priority phase)
The release will take place in two phases: a priority phase for several specific categories of domain holders and a public release to everyone.
The priority phase will run from the 1st of October 2022, 00:00 CEST until the 31th of October 2022, 23:59 CEST and is limited to applicants in the following categories:
1. Applications from the corresponding country code national government.
2. Applications from the corresponding country code registry manager.
3. Applications from a Frisian local government with corresponding city, village or region name in Frisian or Dutch language.
4. Applications from entities (companies and organisations) with a physical address in Fryslân for domain names to which they demonstrate to own a corresponding trademark registered before the 1st of September 2022 with the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property or the European Union Intellectual Property Office.
5. Applications from entities (companies and organisations) with a physical address in Fryslân for Domain Names to which they demonstrate to own a corresponding business or trading name registered before the 1st of September 2022 with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce.
Applications must be sent by the registrar by e-mail (one application per e-mail) to firstname.lastname@example.org in a free format, but should contain at least the following information:
1. The registrar’s name and IANA ID
2. The applied-for domain name
3. The applied-for category (national government, ccTLD registry manager, local government, trademark holder, business or trading name)
4. Data of the intended registrant:
– Legal name
– Contact name
– Full address information
– Telephone number
– E-mail address
5. Any relevant documentary evidence to show eligibility, e.g. extract from the Chamber of Commerce or trademark register
Each application request receives an automatic confirmation of receipt. The applicant with the highest-priority category will prevail in assignment of the domain name. In case of multiple applications in this category, the date and time of the automatic confirmation of receipt will be leading for assignment (first come, first served).
Before the 14th of November 2022, FRLregistry B.V. will assign the applied-for domain names to the legitimate applicants and inform each registrar about the result of its application(s). This e-mail will contain a unique code for registering the assigned domain name at the standard price. Future renewals of the domain name will be at standard price as well.
For each successful application, the registrar will be charged an additional one-time administrative fee. For the exact price, registrars refer to the e-mail sent on the 13th of September 2022, while resellers and registrants should contact their registrar.
General Availability (public release)
From the 14th of November 2022, 14:00 CEST (13:00 UTC) onward, everyone can register a 2-character domain name similar to any other domain name. Note that all 2-character ASCII domain names are charged at a premium price.
The following 2-character domain names remain reserved for legal reasons and cannot be registered: